skip to main content

Buying a property to let can be an excellent investment and having the right Landlords’ Insurance in place is one of the best ways of protecting it.

Landlords Insurance is also known as buy-to-let insurance. It differs from home insurance as it is specifically designed to provide financial protection to landlords renting the property rather than occupying it. We understand that being a landlord can be time-consuming and brings its own set of challenges, whilst you are busy with legislation and regulations, attracting tenants and maintaining your property we can offer tailored insurance policies to give you peace of mind.

It is not a legal requirement to have Landlord insurance however it is in your best interests to consider protecting your investment from the many risks associated with renting and buy-to-let properties.

What type of property do I need to have to get a policy?

We can cover the following:

  • Properties let directly to the council
  • Properties let directly to housing associations
  • Bedsit type properties
  • Multi-tenanted houses/flats
  • Bungalows
  • Properties with Asylum seeker tenants
  • Properties with Short term lease
  • Properties with Housing benefit recipients
  • Properties with Student tenants
  • Properties with employed / self-employed & retired tenants
  • Unoccupied properties to be let within 90 days
  • Contents only option

Various types of Landlords insurance cover different risks. The most common covers are building insurance and property owners’ liability insurance, but you may add countless other covers such as loss of rent, accidental damage and contents insurance. 


What does it cover?

A typical package would consist of:

Building insurance – covers the cost of repairs or rebuilding of your property if it is damaged by something such as fire, floods or arson. Alternatively, you can cover just the fixtures and fittings, which would help cover the costs of repairing or replacing things such as skirting boards or bathroom units.

Property owners’ liability insurance – also known as landlord liability insurance, is a type of public liability insurance that is designed just for landlords. It is built to cover the costs from claims made by a tenant or a visitor to the property if they are injured or their property is damaged and they blame you as the landlord.

Loss of rent – The insurer pays out the amount of rent you are owed in the case of tenants having to move out due to damage caused by events such as fire or floods. However, loss of rent won’t protect you from tenant default where they simply just do not pay their rent or evict themselves from the property.

Home emergency cover – covers the essentials in case of a breakdown such as boilers, plumbing and electricity. Can also cover home security including lost keys and hotel costs up to certain limits.

Some other covers we believe may be useful:

  • Contents insurance
  • Alternative accommodation insurance
  • Accidental damage insurance
  • Landlord legal expense covers
  • Employers liability


I have several properties do I need a policy for each one?

If you own multiple properties, we can also offer Landlord portfolio insurance which makes it much easier to get the right level of cover for all of your properties without the hassle of finding individual policies. It gives you a single policy and one renewal date and your properties can be added or removed as your portfolio changes.

Landlord insurance in action:

A fire breaks out in a neighbours property which spreads to yours, causing structural damage. Your tenants have to move out whilst you pay for a rebuild, luckily you have building insurance which pays for the building costs and loss of rent insurance so you don’t lose your income whilst the property is unoccupied.

Get a quote

Get a quote from us for your Let Property Insurance.

Get a quote
Unoccupied property

Landlords Unoccupied Insurance

Commercial Property

Commercial Property Owners Insurance

Unoccupied commercial property

Unoccupied Commercial Property Owners Insurance

Undergoing Works

Unoccupied Undergoing Works Insurance

Extensive cover for complex needs

Public liability

Protection against liability claims made against you or your organisation.

Employers liability

Protection against the cost of compensation claims arising from employee illness or injury as a result of their work for you.

Need help? Call us

01922 214 412
Weekdays 9am - 5pm

Our brokers are knowledgeable and friendly. They’re specialists who can provide the advice and help you need.

Get in touch

Cross insurance off your list:

Find out what you need - right cover, right price

Get a free review, it's simple and hassle free

Expert advice in just one call

Insurance tailored to your needs

The. Broker

Transparent. Honest. Ethical

Find out more

Get a quote

Get a quote from us for your Let Property Insurance.

Get a quote

Our featured insurance products

business insurance

Business insurance

A range of policies that protect your business against financial loss regardless of size. This could be from damage to your property, theft of your stock or equipment, or legal costs either arising from injuries to your staff or members of the public.

charity insurance

Charity insurance

A range of policies that protect your charity, community group or not for profit organisation, from accidents involving volunteers or event visitors to allegations of wrongdoing against trustees.

faith and community insurance

Faith & community insurance

A range of policies that protect your place of worship such as Church, Temple, Mosque or other religious building from damage, theft of religious artifacts to accidents involving volunteers.

landlord's insurance

Landlord's insurance

Also known as buy-to-let insurance, it is a combination of policies designed to protect a landlord and their properties. Whether you have one property or 10, occupied or unoccupied, a cover can be tailored to your specific requirements.

Already know what you need?

Get a quote

Get in touch

If you have a question regarding your insurance, feel free to get in touch.

Get in touch